What is the current status of democracy and statehood in Somaliland?
- By comparison with many other African nations, Somaliland has a remarkable democratic record because of its peaceful political transitions that result from respectable electoral processes.
- Somaliland is working to ensure honest voting by using iris scanning technology in its presidential election.
- The country has clear borders, defined territory, a people, and the ability to enter into relationships with other states. Although it is not yet recognized internationally as a country, Somaliland meets the criteria for statehood.
- Attempts have been made to establish a dialogue between Somalia and Somaliland on the topic of independence, but Somalia would undoubtedly require a price for recognizing Somaliland.
- African states are likely to refrain from recognizing Somaliland’s independence because they are concerned with setting a precedent for other nations.
Listen to the entire interview here.